Blackjack is the most played casino game worldwide and for good reasons. For the vast majority of recreational players Blackjack is about fun. It is a simple case of you versus the dealer. There are of course players of great skill that can certainly improve their win chances by careful study, but at tables around the world the number of real “card counters” are in a miniscule minority.
Nonetheless – recreational and beginner players can still help themselves by paying attention to a few basic rules. In the following Quick Start guide consisting of 5 Blackjack Tips You Can’t “Win” Without, we hope to highlight a few do’s and don’ts to help those guys on their way.
Basic Strategy: How good are you with numbers? No getting around it, if you have the mental capacity to remember a single set of rules you will improve your chances – and cut the house edge, by playing these almost universally accepted set of fundamentals. You can refer to them Here. If all the rules of Basic Strategy are a bit much – take a look at the following simple hints.
1. Its all about that Ace: Aces should be treated as 1, except when the dealer shows 7, 8, and 9 then they should be treated as 11.
Eg: A, 6 is always 7A, 8 is always 19 Points total is the total of all cards in your hand, not just the first 2, so the same rules apply to 7 and 6, 5, 4 and 4 A, 4 and 8 all of which should be treated as 13.
2. SPLIT OR STAND: Never split 5s or 10s and never stand on 12 through 16 if the dealer is showing a 7 or higher. Split aces and 8s, double down on 11, and stand on a hard 17 (or greater).
3. You want to hit don’t you? Well you always should on a soft 17 (i.e. ace-6).
4. Insurance is a loser’s bet. Never take insurance. Unless you’re keeping track of the ratio of aces and 10-cards remaining in the stack of cards still to be played, and if you are in need of this guide then you are not, the odds are against you.
5. In the most basic of basic strategy, the following summary of rules to live by will steer you well at any blackjack table.
Player Point Total
|3 to 11||Hit|
|12 to 16||HIT if dealer > 6, otherwise STAND|
|17 to 20||Stand|
|Exception A,7||HIT if dealer >8, otherwise STAND|
Good Luck Out there!